Introducing DAX Video Course
This is an introductory video course about the DAX language. DAX is the native language of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and SSAS Tabular models in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and at Analysis Services developers that want to move the first steps with DAX.
The goal is to teach the DAX language using Power BI for all the examples. You can download the initial Power BI Desktop file used in the demos and repeat all the steps shown in the videos. The same concepts can be used also on Power Pivot and on Analysis Services Tabular. The course is made of 150 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at anytime and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the initial Power BI file used in the demos.
Presentation of Introducing DAX
- Presentation of Introducing DAX Video Course
Slides and examples
- How to download and use the examples
Introduction to DAX
- Introduction to DAX
- What is DAX?
- Calculated Columns
- Aggregation Functions
- Using Variables
- Table Functions
- Calculated Tables
- Filtering a Table
- Removing Filters
- Mixing Filters
- Evaluation Contexts
- What is an Evaluation Context?
- Example of a Filter Context
- Row Context
- There are Always Two Contexts
- What is CALCULATE?
- Filters are Tables
Evaluation Contexts and Relationships
- Evaluation Contexts and Relationships
- Filters and Relationships
- Row Context - Many Tables
- Filter Context - Many Tables
- Context Transition
Time Intelligence in DAX
- Time Intelligence in DAX
- Date Table
- What is Time Intelligence?
- Tim Stacy (Jun 25, 2017)
I am only half way through and absolutely love the video. I very much appreciate the back and fourth dialog, which keeps my interest...not to mention for the entertainment value. Great team work! Tim:)
- Yusuf Hamzah (Jun 25, 2017)
- Eugene Polonichko (Jun 23, 2017)
Thank you. It was amazing!!!
- Burovtsev Vyacheslav (Jun 23, 2017)
This is the best course I`ve ever wathed!
- Jacky Fu (Jun 23, 2017)
- Michael Woodman (Jun 23, 2017)
Really helpful introduction. This sort of input is really needed in order to avoid frustration and poor understanding. Thank you.
- Donald Parish (Jun 22, 2017)
Great use of screen with instructor. Much more like watching a real class than just watching a screen. Especially with the Italian hand gestures!
- Vanessa van Gelder (Jun 20, 2017)
An excellent way to jump start into DAX as well as being valuable to to those like me who have been doing it a while but are always trying to fill in the gap, returning to the basics when you know more etc.. Definitely one that will be watched more than once though as DAX is not an easy language to get your head around at first. I enjoyed the banter too. My only suggestion is; which might be a bit cheeky because its free, is to have a short assessment in the end, to identify what learnings you need to focus on.
- – Hi Vanessa, thanks for the feedback!
It is not easy to add video content - the studio recording requires a certain amount of planning and preparation. Do you think that a written guide could be useful?
Reply by SQLBI (Jun 20, 2017)
- – Hi Vanessa, thanks for the feedback! It is not easy to add video content - the studio recording requires a certain amount of planning and preparation. Do you think that a written guide could be useful?
- Julian Chen (Jun 18, 2017)
It's a wonderful learning journey to DAX. I watched the lecture of context transition repeatedly to gain a better understanding. It's worthy to spend the time on it.
- Hong Nguyen (Jun 17, 2017)
- Oscar Zapata (Jun 16, 2017)
Excelent , very detailed and specially useful for excel pros that have little experience with database concepts (normalization,modeling, querying, etc.,)
- Sobieslaw Kulej (Jun 15, 2017)
Really good one; especially the practical usage cases
- Mario Anzaldua (Jun 13, 2017)
Great introduction to DAX. Even with a few DAX books on my shelf, this video course clearly outlined the essential concepts necessary to start coding with many of the basic functions. By the end of the course, I could author formulas needed to generate key BI calculations in a tabular model--including functions like CALCULATE, FILTER and Time Intelligence. This course was well worth the investment. Highly recommended for beginners and those needing a firm DAX foundation.
- Angela Dimmick (Jun 12, 2017)
Great help in starting to use this easy to understand language.
- orxanbabashov (Jun 12, 2017)
Thanks so much.It was so useful!