Introducing DAX Video Course
This is an introductory video course about the DAX language. DAX is the native language of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and SSAS Tabular models in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and at Analysis Services developers that want to move the first steps with DAX.
The goal is to teach the DAX language using Power BI for all the examples. You can download the initial Power BI Desktop file used in the demos and repeat all the steps shown in the videos. The same concepts can be used also on Power Pivot and on Analysis Services Tabular. The course is made of 150 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at anytime and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the initial Power BI file used in the demos.
Presentation of Introducing DAX
- Presentation of Introducing DAX Video Course
Slides and examples
- How to download and use the examples
Introduction to DAX
- Introduction to DAX
- What is DAX?
- Calculated Columns
- Aggregation Functions
- Using Variables
- Table Functions
- Calculated Tables
- Filtering a Table
- Removing Filters
- Mixing Filters
- Evaluation Contexts
- What is an Evaluation Context?
- Example of a Filter Context
- Row Context
- There are Always Two Contexts
- What is CALCULATE?
- Filters are Tables
Evaluation Contexts and Relationships
- Evaluation Contexts and Relationships
- Filters and Relationships
- Row Context - Many Tables
- Filter Context - Many Tables
- Context Transition
Time Intelligence in DAX
- Time Intelligence in DAX
- Date Table
- What is Time Intelligence?
This course is conducted through our training platform which is immersive and designed to facilitate your experience.
- Eduardo Silveira Clavé (Nov 2, 2020)
- Csilla Fabian (Oct 31, 2020)
This was very useful, especially the explanation of the different contexts and how Calculate can change them. The only thing that didn't work for me in the model, is that I don't have the 'Sort by column' button where it shows in the video. I am not sure why, I used the model that was provided, but PowerBI desktop might have moved it since 2017 :(
- – Yes, the user interface of Power BI Desktop changes often, they moved that feature several times and it will probably change again in the future!
The Sort By Column is currently (November 2020) in the Ribbon "Column tools" that dynamically appears when you select a column in the Field pane.
Reply by SQLBI (Nov 2, 2020)
- – Yes, the user interface of Power BI Desktop changes often, they moved that feature several times and it will probably change again in the future! The Sort By Column is currently (November 2020) in the Ribbon "Column tools" that dynamically appears when you select a column in the Field pane.
- ugo albanese (Oct 30, 2020)
I SPEAK LITTLE; VERY LITTLE ENGLISH, BUT I HAD NO DIFFICULTY IN LEARNING. THANK YOU
- Thanh Bich Tran (Oct 27, 2020)
- Thomas Van Caillie (Oct 26, 2020)
Best course to learn DAX by the master/guru's of DAX! Very clear and well explained. Can't wait to follow the mastering DAX course aswell.
- Yannick Grillet (Oct 22, 2020)
Very great course. I especially loved how the concepts have been introduced steps by steps in a logical manner to finally reach the hardest ones and build a strong foundation to learn and practice DAX
- ANGEL BENITO GUZMAN ORTEGA (Oct 20, 2020)
- Othoniel Herrera (Oct 19, 2020)
Excellent course for beginners!
- Othoniel Herrera (Oct 19, 2020)
Excellent course for begginers in DAX!
- horacio Lewis (Oct 19, 2020)
Muy bueno y totalmente recomendable, gracias
- Anshi Gupta (Oct 17, 2020)
I am feeling very lucky to watch this course as you have explained each and everything from basics. I did not find such a wonderful course anywhere for power bi. God bless you both for doing great work.
- Leonardo Carvalho (Oct 15, 2020)
Great! I really enjoyed the training.
- stefano sartori (Oct 14, 2020)
The best beginner course that I have never seen
- Oksana Smit (Oct 14, 2020)
A really nice intro to DAX, thoroughly enjoyed.
- Mark Wachira (Oct 13, 2020)
Very concise delivery of information! Easy to understand and whet the appetite for anyone who is new to DAX.