Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
This course is conducted through our training platform which is immersive and designed to facilitate your experience.
- SOLOMON BERHE (Mar 19, 2021)
Clear and informative!
- Sethumadhava Yallapu (Mar 11, 2021)
- Shaik Soofi (Mar 8, 2021)
It is obvious from the contents they give, they did a lot of hardwork behind every examples. This course is simply fantastic
- Jill Waltersdorph (Mar 3, 2021)
Excellent course, provides a clear understanding of the importance of a solid data model. The examples were similar to many of the situations I have encountered with source data, and provided progressively more logical and simple solutions to building the best model.
- Nathan Fish (Mar 2, 2021)
Very useful overview and examples. Thanks!
- Bhavin Patel (Feb 28, 2021)
Most of the topics discussed within this course are interesting. There are some useful tips provided along the way like formatting/preparing your data at source using SQL, SSIS or Custom-M (PowerQuery) as far as possible. Towards the end, some common business scenarios are discussed along with their respective solutions. Overall, it's a good course to realise the importance of Data Modelling in a typical BI Workflow.
- Samuel Manseau (Feb 26, 2021)
Unmissable. Improve your view of your data in a simple and clear way. Concept very accessible and applicable immediately. Concept very accessible and applicable immediately.
- Samuel Manseau (Feb 26, 2021)
Unmissable. In one morning you will have a serious understanding of BI. Concept very accessible and applicable immediately. Improve your view of your data in a simple and clear way.
- Panos Poulizos (Feb 24, 2021)
Extremely useful lesson. Highly recommended. Star schemas is the way to go!
- Mijalis Alexandros Méndiz Pazos (Feb 23, 2021)
Excellent course, as always, the way you guys explain things is incredible. Looking forward to doing the rest of the courses. Thank you very much for sharing your vast knowledge. Best regards, Mijalis
- TUAN ANH HUYNH DINH (Feb 23, 2021)
Totally worth it.
- Erica Wehrmeyer (Feb 21, 2021)
Really great course! I learned a lot even though I have been working with Power BI for months already. I learned some of the pitfalls that I have made, and understand how I can create a better model. Thanks Alberto and Marco!
- Javier Salinas (Feb 19, 2021)
Muchas gracias, muy claras las explicaciones. Sin dudas un gran aporte.
- Diogo Monteiro (Feb 16, 2021)
Fantastic Introduction to Data Modelling! It’s something you can’t get enough of.
- Hector Sanchez (Feb 16, 2021)