Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Ziad Mutaher (Apr 27, 2020)
very good course
- Sheri Santosh (Apr 27, 2020)
Very useful and explained in detail in a simple steps
- Alexander Demchenko (Apr 26, 2020)
Ciao, guys! I've just attended your free Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course and must say that it's beautiful, simple to understand and use as every other video course, book, training or an article you do or publish! Grazie mille and keep going! Take care and stay safe!
- Deborah Compton (Apr 25, 2020)
Great Introduction, I really enjoyed it. I did have to rearrange the layout of the tables in the practice files, as I found it easier to grasp the filter flows with the dimension tables arranged at the top and the fact tables positioned underneath.
- Jose Burrull Cornejo (Apr 23, 2020)
Excelente curso introductorio, que nos enseña lo principal, el correcto y óptimo modelado de datos en PowerBI, con sugerencias desde trabajar los datos en la fuente misma de los datos, SQL, por ejemplo, o bien pasando por M, y en última instancia por DAX ; terminando así con correctos cálculos y adecuada visualización de los datos.
- Cecilie Clausen (Apr 22, 2020)
Very helpful videos.
- Ferdinand Santos (Apr 20, 2020)
I love the video player UI's ability to change speed. I just wish the setting would stay when the next video is played automatically instead of resetting back to normal.
- Gemma Gimenez (Apr 19, 2020)
Excellent!! All the basis and pilars for data modelling are easily explained
- Arnau Riera Badia (Apr 19, 2020)
Sin duda la forma de transmitir conocimiento de los MAESTROS es fantástica. Muchas gracias.
- Javier Fidalgo (Apr 18, 2020)
Great course¡¡¡ Thanks
- Collin Tsui (Apr 17, 2020)
Wonderful course! Thank you!
- Kirill Perian (Apr 17, 2020)
Awesome intro, Marco & Alberto! I am not new to this, but I've picked up some good points and best practices! I enjoyed your explanation style!
- Tejas (Apr 16, 2020)
- STANISLAV GODIN (Apr 15, 2020)
A good starting point in learning data modeling for Power BI.
- Miquel Despuig (Apr 15, 2020)
Awesome introductory course. The simple examples presented helped me a lot with data modeling strategies to make my life easier. Looking forward to enroll to the complete course.