Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Ayo Babajide (Aug 2, 2020)
Very informative. I am eager to start the full Data Modelling course!
- Salvador Morata Royes (Aug 2, 2020)
I love the way you teach, Marco and Alberto. Very interesting and advisable course.
- carlos dias (Jul 28, 2020)
parabéns pelo ótimo curso.
- Irshad Kuttoor Illam (Jul 27, 2020)
- Mathieu Weyers (Jul 25, 2020)
This is an excellent introduction to Data Modeling. I've designed multiple models over the years but was still impressed by the fact that I learned quite a few things in this training. Thanks a lot Marco & Alberto ;-)
- Charles Preston (Jul 22, 2020)
This was a great course. I really appreciated the no nonsense theoretical approach of the course. I have started reading the Definitive Guide to DAX and again the more theoretical approach I find appropriate and in fact necessary for DAX. Even though just an introductory course it actually directly addressed some issues I was having which was a pleasant surprise.
- jhonny Nuñez (Jul 22, 2020)
Excelente, muy claro y directo al grano. Continuamos.
- Dinup K.P (Jul 21, 2020)
- marco minervino (Jul 16, 2020)
fantastic and extremely useful course! clear explanations and with many points of reflection
- EDUARD JOEL PRADO ROJAS (Jul 15, 2020)
- Claudia Borges Fernandes (Jul 13, 2020)
The Making of a New Tribe and the Remaking of the World
- Mustafa Omer Al Omery (Jul 10, 2020)
- Michael Jones (Jul 8, 2020)
- Ran Li (Jul 8, 2020)
Muy buenos cursos chicos, los felicito.
- Santeri Virtanen (Jul 7, 2020)
This is best what happened my business intelligence career!