Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Domenico Musolino (Jan 15, 2020)
A great introduction to critical aspects and terms of Data Modeling. Quick and easy to follow, I recommend it to anybody who is starting using Power BI.
- Nini (Jan 13, 2020)
Thank you for this free course, I learned a lot in a short time, the examples are very well chosen and facilitate the understanding of beginners
- Amaru Quinones (Jan 12, 2020)
Fantastic introduction! I will definitely want to learn more!
- JOSE NSIARI MUZEYI BIEY (Jan 12, 2020)
good introductory course
- Raymundo Cabato (Jan 11, 2020)
This is AMAZING!
- Maurizio Faini (Jan 8, 2020)
As usual for SQLBI, another great course. The importance of star schema and how to use multiple relationship is very very useful. Thanks.
- Eli Mirvic (Jan 8, 2020)
Great Intro... also a good refresher if you feeling rusty :)
- CRISTIAN GARCIA (Jan 6, 2020)
Excelente curso, destaco la claridad del docente para explicar cada detalle y destaco la forma de presentar la información con dos pantallas superpuestas. Espero poder tomar el curso completo en el corto plazo. (Argentina)
- Ethan Wilkinson (Jan 6, 2020)
Great introduction of how to do data modeling in PowerBI.
- Peter Foster (Jan 5, 2020)
Excellent course! On to the full Data Modelling course now!
- Jónheiður Ísleifsdóttir (Jan 3, 2020)
Very good introduction and explanations on how to model data well and how to deal with the different scenarios.
- Aleksandr Yakovenko (Dec 24, 2019)
- Nikolaos Galanakis (Dec 23, 2019)
It was a good course and I understood the proposed Star data modeling schema.
- Melissa Valgardson (Dec 22, 2019)
Excellent course! Wish I had taken it months ago. Excited to move onto the next one.
- Vanessa Neira (Dec 19, 2019)
very useful and clear