Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Abhijith Titus DSouza (Aug 13, 2019)
Excellent introduction course by Marco and Alberto. They stress the importance of data modelling for Power BI and give many examples which can be solved by resorting to good old star schema. Thank you for your efforts.
- Darwin A Benavides M (Aug 11, 2019)
Excelente introducción al modelado de datos, la explicación muy correcta ya que va de lo general a lo particular y se enfoca en mostrar las ventajas y desventajas de cada decisión que se toma en el modelado con ejemplos sencillos y muy bien explicados
- ANTONY MARQUES PIRES (Aug 7, 2019)
Congratulations, simply the best free content of the theme on the web! Thanks
- Rasheed Kareem (Aug 3, 2019)
What a very nice course. good to learn from sqlbi
- Ignacio Barrau (Aug 1, 2019)
Very nice course. I think it has almost all introduction topics. If I had to add something I would explain what to do when you have a fact table and a chain of conections like Product, ProductSubCategory and ProductCategory. Explain how to model dimensions in that scenario that is very frecuent.
- Fernando Camargo da Silva (Jul 31, 2019)
Amazing course, it helps to understand and memorize the basic concepts of data modelling in our mind.
- Benjamin Swift (Jul 30, 2019)
Fantastic content as usual! Thank you.
- Joanna Boniecka-Grzelak (Jul 30, 2019)
- Simon Forthun (Jul 28, 2019)
- Frank Acquaah (Jul 23, 2019)
Great Videos! Perfect step by step explanation for a rookie like me. Thank you.
- Bohdan Kryszczuk (Jul 21, 2019)
Thank you for the excellent lecture.
- Alphonce Wanjala (Jul 16, 2019)
I highly recommend this course as an gateway to more advanced DM. Thanks to Marco and Alberto for the great content.
- MICHEL PLATINI DE ALMEIDA CESAR (Jul 9, 2019)
The course is excellent! A very well explained, and technically perfect introduction!
- André Pinheiro (Jul 8, 2019)
Pretty good for beginners.
- Helmar Träger (Jul 8, 2019)
Very interesting and presented in an easy to understand why though the subjects are a bit difficult
- james robim ramos raymondi (Jul 7, 2019)
Es muy importante saber desnormalizar para poder generar los indicadores de alto impacto.
- JOVIANO SILVEIRA (Jul 5, 2019)
- Patricia Rodrigues (Jul 4, 2019)
You're a great communicator. your knowledge it great and totally aligned with the business needs.
- Ciro Gómez Parssian (Jul 2, 2019)
Excellent, I am probably purchasing the full data modeling course and the Power BI course.
- Jancarlos Ascencio Acuña (Jul 1, 2019)
Excelente videos esta informacion no se encuentra asi de facil en otras paginas
- Shawn Gallagher (Jun 28, 2019)
Coming from the Excel side, for me this intro was invaluable. Marco has put into words here much of what I had discovered intuitively in getting my dozens of PowerPivot (PP) models to work, over the years, and translated into BI assets to share- so special meaning to me; a real eye opener. This year I began a tech-immersion to really learn Power BI and serious DAX programming since I've had so much fun unleashing my creativity thorugh PP. I am putting this training to good use immediately normalizing the publicly available Medicare data I have begun to work with. I can see how it will help with simplify some complex ranking that I have been struggling with. Also, I will definitely seek more patterns to avoid reinvention. This was great in helping me on my journey - keep it up guys!
- Andy Stepas (Jun 25, 2019)
- Janderson Macedo Araujo (Jun 24, 2019)
It's just incredible. It's an incredible course. It makes us want to go further..
- Carlos (Jun 24, 2019)
I knew more than thought. Thank you for the clear a quick explanations.
- carry Zhou (Jun 23, 2019)
good,especially for star schemas
- hemchand chowdary (Jun 12, 2019)
this course dives through the data modeling with great granularity.
- Dave Mason (Jun 12, 2019)
Very interesting and useful introduction to data modelling. Suggests good ways to think about transforming your data to allow straight-forward analysis, whether in Power BI or other analysis tools.
- Saurabh Pandit (Jun 12, 2019)
A Must Do! Its a great course even for someone doing data modelling for years. The fundamental concepts have been so clearly explained. Just set the video playback speed to 2x and finish it in your lunch break! AMAZING! Thank you so much guys!
- Beng Hwa Chan (Jun 9, 2019)
An excellent introduction to Data Modeling with Power BI covering fundamental concepts and methodologies !
- Eduardo Rocha Clemente (Jun 9, 2019)
Good Initiative, but I´ve expected in this course an example for normalization from a denormalized table in excel. It´s a very common situation that we face... Many thanks for this free video. Your classes are becoming even better like Italian wine!!!!
- Ketil Lidahl (Jun 5, 2019)
These courses that Marco and Alberto makes has high value, and I can definitely see the value of paying for the complete course after having watched this. Very good tutoring skills and good use of practical examples to ease the understanding.
- Daniel Pantie (May 28, 2019)
I am a beginner and this is what I needed to kick off my data modelling journey. Great explanation supported by good examples in a very pleasant narrative. Simply 5 stars!
- Richard Svensson (May 25, 2019)
I have followed SQLBI since 2015 and got a lot of good experience from Alberto and Marco. For me it solved a lot of how to think when it comes to what should be done in SQL, Power Query and/or DAX, and especially, what are the pros and cons in different situations. The course is a very good introduction to data modeling using Power BI.
- JOSE VICENTE DOÑATE (May 24, 2019)
Sois muy grandes !!!!!!!!!ª
- Paulo Rocha (May 21, 2019)
I read "The Definitive Guide to DAX", "Analyzing Data with Power BI and Power Pivot for Excel", attended "Mastering DAX Workshop" with Alberto, "Mastering DAX Videocourse", and the full "Data Modeling for Power BI". All content produced by SQLBI is excellent. I did this intro course as a recap and still learned new insights! Keep up the good work Maestros!
- Norman Ocampo (May 20, 2019)
Very great intro course to those starting to Data Modeling.
- Evelin Yasmyn Padilla Sulca (May 20, 2019)
- Rasitha Chathuranga (May 15, 2019)
This introduction course was really giving fundamental but very important to know those who are working with report creation through power query , data modelling and Power BI. Thank you for providing such a introductory video course on free . We are really looking into learn more on this as we are moving with out report creations and Analytics.
- Guilherme Maciel (May 15, 2019)
Marco Russo is the God of Power BI. This is a perfect Data Modeling Intro Course! Going to recommend it to all my colleagues.
- Carol Bond (May 14, 2019)
fantasist course, if you are a beginner or need a refresh. The explanations are always easy to follow and make it a joy to learm
- Helge Schroeder (May 14, 2019)
Super! I will try the data modellng for power bi course next.
- Heike Holubek (May 14, 2019)
good introduction, mostly easy to follow
- Nathan Prats (May 9, 2019)
Thanks, very nice
- Darren Weinstock (May 8, 2019)
Great introduction to Data Modeling. The course takes complex topics and makes them make sense to a layperson. Thanks Marco and Alberto.
- Cristian Sopán Chuquipul (May 7, 2019)
i learn some concept that i work by default
- Hannes Windisch (May 5, 2019)
Very good introduction to this topic, well explained and interesting! Thank you!
- Graham Getty (May 4, 2019)
Best explanation / demonstration of importance of star schemas I've ever seen. As a business user of Power BI, I want to go directly to the visualizations of my data - this course was important reminder to review and optimize the data models as how the data is stored by a data vendor is not always (ever?) the best method for reporting and visualization.
- Rup Rizal (May 2, 2019)
Awesome intro. Any PowerBi model and reports I am going to work on in future will definitely focus on modeling and get efficient and simpler DAX measures.
- BRUNO CIPPITELLI (Apr 29, 2019)
It is really an amazing course. I Learned new powerfull techniques and reenforced others I had. Very clear and righ to the point. Thanks for it!!!. Grazie mille amici italiani.
- Ariful Islam (Apr 25, 2019)
- Davide Tringanelli (Apr 24, 2019)
Grazie Marco e Alberto, molto interessante e ottime spiegazioni!
- Livia Canet (Apr 24, 2019)
- Chingiz Gavryushkaev (Apr 24, 2019)
You did a great job. I like the way you present the material. I wish you continued success.
- Phil Armstrong (Apr 23, 2019)
Great intro to data modelling. Perfect for anyone wanting to get the best out of PowerBI without existing BI modelling experience.
- Cathy Yan (Apr 23, 2019)
Excellent introduction course and presentation, Thanks!
- fatima Essahibi (Apr 23, 2019)
thank you for this great introduction
- Grace Carpio (Apr 19, 2019)
Thanks so much. I loved it
- Carlos Castro (Apr 18, 2019)
Excellent intro. Easy to understand and follow. Good PBI files resources with interesting measures and DAX queries to learn from
- Ricardo Alves (Apr 18, 2019)
Was my first online course, and exceed my expectations. Videos have a good pace, the speaker presents the topic with ease so is very easy to keep up. I enjoyed the segmentation and lenght of the videos, really easy to pause the course and be back at it after a while. It was the first but probably not the last. Congratulations.
- Manal Malek (Apr 18, 2019)
Very Informative Presentation. Thank you so much. You are the best.
- Susannah Bentley (Apr 16, 2019)
Excellent introduction to data modelling.
- Josué López (Apr 16, 2019)
Very Interesting and helpful
- harm bons (Apr 15, 2019)
Nice introduction in relation to data modeling!
- Nahid Sarowar (Apr 15, 2019)
Its very helpful for me, and this the basic of Data modeling for Power BI. Thanks, Marco & Alberto
- Donald Parish (Apr 12, 2019)
Very nice introduction. I've read the book, and this complements it. I very much enjoy watching the instructor stand and point to screen like a real lecture instead of a talking head imposed on a video.
- Jeremy Schlosberg (Apr 11, 2019)
Very informative and the videos are easy to follow
- Javier Vazquez (Apr 11, 2019)
Thank you so much for this training, very clear and neat explanations!
- David Hastings (Apr 9, 2019)
- Smiljka Nikolic (Apr 7, 2019)
Very nicely explained. I truly enjoyed the course.
- dave ritchie (Apr 6, 2019)
- Christopher Hastings (Apr 4, 2019)
This is a very good introduction to Data Modeling. If you included examples of using Power Query, that would probably be helpful for beginners.
- Yan Yan (Apr 4, 2019)
very useful! thanks very much for the share!!!
- Wveimar López Marin (Apr 3, 2019)
What an excellent video course. As usually, Marco and Alberto is sharing their knowledge to all the community all over the world interested in learning some tips and techniques for BI. Thank you very much.
- Carlos Goncalves (Apr 3, 2019)
Great introduction Course. Many thanks for your way to teach
- Dirk Surmont (Apr 3, 2019)
Very good structured course about the Data Modeling subject for Power BI!
- Wayne Walker (Apr 3, 2019)
- Dannelly Ramos (Apr 2, 2019)
Great course! Practical and useful. I recommend it. Thank you.
- Massimiliano Alpigno (Apr 2, 2019)
Very clear explanation. thank you.
- Jerome Louvel (Apr 2, 2019)
Great content, as always! Blew away some misconceptions I had about normalized schemas always being the way to go. Thanks!
- Frank Arendt-Theilen (Apr 2, 2019)
Thank you very match for this very helpful introductional course. In my seminars I advice the attendees to take a very close look at the data modelling and your very well explanations confirms me to do so. Thanks's again. Frank
- Steven Renders (Apr 2, 2019)
Super interesting course!!!
- Iretiola Fola-bolumole (Apr 2, 2019)
Amazing work and step by step guide to the foundation of data modeling. Explaining the model for dealing with multiple dates was easy to understand and crucial for all modelers to understand. Great work again
- Mary Fealty (Apr 1, 2019)
Brilliant! I loved getting reassurance of the importance of the data model and star schema in particular. Marco has a great talent of explaining things in a methodical way that cements learning. Thanks
- Bruno Zurita (Apr 1, 2019)
this is a nice course video, i learn so much.
- Abdelkader Gharbi (Apr 1, 2019)
very useful to get the basics of data modeling
- Jan Sutkowski (Mar 30, 2019)
Really good course. Marco is a great teacher, sharing his knowledge in a simple and understandable way for begginer in data modeling.
- Jose Almeida (Mar 30, 2019)
Fantastic Training videos. It's unbelievable how we keep doing the same mistakes after all this year when a Star Schema is the answer in most of the cases. The lectures are easy to follow and examples reflect real life problems. Well done.
- Aysha Hamisi (Mar 30, 2019)
Very clear and a great format & pace.
- Daniel Lázaro (Mar 29, 2019)
Great course. Grazie mille!
- Ruben Perez (Mar 29, 2019)
Very good quality and content!
- Micah Kline (Mar 28, 2019)
Very informative. I was struggling with a few concepts but this has allowed me to see how I needed to approach the problems I was having from a different angle. THANKS!!!
- jorge luna (Mar 28, 2019)
well done more advanced than expected
- Brendan Togher (Mar 28, 2019)
Always good to touch base with SQLBI, it makes you realise simplicity is the key to creating something good. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm.
- Stefan Uzunov (Mar 28, 2019)
Professional and well presented. Good definition and clarification of the example problems. Highly recommended for beginners as it provides a very good base for a data modeling analysis. Thank you
- Lucas Silva (Mar 28, 2019)
- Rolando Temporale (Mar 27, 2019)
Despite I've been already working with data models in power pivot and power bi, this course is very good to refresh and learn essential concepts to work better in data analysis. Thank you Marco & Alberto for share this useful material.
- Musa Momodu (Mar 27, 2019)
Straight to the point and an eye-opener. Thanks to the best DAX teachers in the universe. ----Musa Momodu (Lagos, Nigeria)
- Imran Naseem (Mar 27, 2019)
Fantastic Course as always