Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
This course is conducted through our training platform which is immersive and designed to facilitate your experience.
- Israel E. Gutierrez Jr. (Dec 1, 2020)
- Damian Skipiol (Dec 1, 2020)
Great introduction to Power BI. Thank you so much for both of you Guys. Till couple months ago I was a big fan of Qlik Sense, but now after couple months with PBI and your books and Patterns I'm a big fan of PBI. Once again, thank you so much.
- Fiorella del Carmen Mosquera Villalobos (Nov 30, 2020)
Excellent, I will continue with the next course!!.
- Borislav Petrinin (Nov 19, 2020)
I consider myself quite experienced in Data Modelling and Data Architecture and still this short course was extremely helpful. I can recommend it and all the work that the Guys from SQLBI are doing!
- Manohar Gottimukkula (Nov 19, 2020)
This course is very useful. A must learn and strong basics for data analytics industry
- Usman Ali (Nov 15, 2020)
excellent course, good examples and explanation.
- Wendy Huang (Nov 10, 2020)
Did not learn too much from this two hour session, although all the topics seem very interesting.
- – Hi Wendy, please can you provide more details about your expectations?
Do you already have a knowledge about database design and star schemas?
Are you looking for more insights?
This course is an introduction to data modeling designed for people who don't have a background in database design and use Power BI to create models with more tables. We have a longer course (Data Modeling for Power BI) that expands the topics in more details and include several exercises.
Reply by SQLBI (Nov 11, 2020)
- – Hi Wendy, please can you provide more details about your expectations? Do you already have a knowledge about database design and star schemas? Are you looking for more insights? This course is an introduction to data modeling designed for people who don't have a background in database design and use Power BI to create models with more tables. We have a longer course (Data Modeling for Power BI) that expands the topics in more details and include several exercises.
- Vincenzo Crisafulli (Nov 10, 2020)
- deepk gupta (Oct 27, 2020)
Thank you Thank you so much for this little tutorial and explaining as how important data modelling is important . now i know this is a Very Must topic that should be known if you want to pursue in the field of Business Analyst. In coming some time i will surely purchase the full course.
- Lee Robinson (Oct 27, 2020)
- Azeez Adegbenro (Oct 23, 2020)
- Ricardo Santander (Oct 13, 2020)
Awesome Introductory course!!!!
- Maria Fernanda Rodriguez V (Oct 13, 2020)
Excelente curso. Gracias por sus conocimientos.
- Francisco Javier Fuerte Grund (Oct 13, 2020)
- José Granero Nueda (Oct 13, 2020)
¡Thank you for this interesting course!