Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Johan van Dyk (Apr 8, 2020)
Very good overview of the basic considerations
- Sumesh P S (Apr 6, 2020)
It was a very good course for Data Modeling, looking forward to complete the full course on this
- Danielle Green (Apr 5, 2020)
Very good overview and easily understandable. Marco is a very good presenter.
- Chandra Shekhar Bhoga (Apr 5, 2020)
It was such an amazing course at just the perfect pace. Thanks a million for your time and efforts.. Marco & Alberto. Highly recommended to anyone willing to learn or refresh BI Data Modelling skills. Namaste, Bhoga
- Muhammed Amjed Ashraf (Apr 4, 2020)
- Baruc Nino (Apr 4, 2020)
I liked this course. You gave me an important overview of a Data Modeler for Power BI.
- lemuel llanza (Apr 3, 2020)
i loved it. very well explained and i love the different scenarios that are presented along with the solution. I have already recommended this free course to some of my friends and if only i could afford the other course ill probably will buy it as well. thank you so much for this.
- Caby Djedje (Apr 2, 2020)
very good Course and best instructor... Marco russo
- pippo vuoto (Apr 2, 2020)
- Wesley adolfo gomes da silva (Apr 2, 2020)
- Nicolas Lope de Barrios (Apr 1, 2020)
This was great as an introduction to data modeling, although is clear that is intended for Power BI users, it would be great if you talked a bit about avoiding design problems in the data source (i.e creating a tabular model in SSAS). It clearly states the importance of the star schema and good design.
- Fran Macias Rodriguez (Mar 31, 2020)
Very interesting. I have learnt many concepts unknown for me.
- Sérgio Santos (Mar 30, 2020)
Excelent introduction to data modeling, with some clear examples and good auxilary materials.
- Cristian Cheij (Mar 29, 2020)
Excellent course, very useful.
- Ержан Бухар (Mar 28, 2020)
thanks it was cool