Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Benson Igarabuza (May 26, 2020)
This was well put together. By far the best content I have seen for Data Modeling in PowerBI. This site is going to be my defacto source for PowerBI Data Modeling & DAX.
- Philipi Matheus Calefi Portes de Godoy (May 25, 2020)
This is a great course to introduce the modeling data for BI projects.Thank's Marco and Alberto for share your knowlegde, i hope this help lot of people to know more about this world.
- Denilson Salgado (May 24, 2020)
O curso é ótimo, adoraria poder dar continuidade adquirindo o curso completo, mas a cotação do dólar está muito alta em relação a moeda brasileira. O curso vale cada centavo, mas mesmo com desconto, no momento é inviável devido a taxa de câmbio. Vou esperar baixar o dólar. Sorry :(
- Gbena Wale (May 17, 2020)
Very Insightful! keep up the good work :)
- Mark Stauffer (May 15, 2020)
I already knew some of the concepts taught in this course. However, I didn't know the proper terminology. Just that knowledge alone will help as i'm going through the DAX course. Great information, well presented!
- Sinthuja M (May 13, 2020)
Very good course,with good explanation
- Zahid Ameerodien (May 13, 2020)
I enjoyed this course thoroughly, simple explanations and very well structured. Thank you !!!
- Gilberto Gomes de Sales (May 13, 2020)
- Juan Santamaría (May 12, 2020)
Excellent video course for the introduction to data modeling!
- Anastasiya Davydova (May 8, 2020)
Thank you for this course! It was very usefull and interesting!
- Filip Czaboryk (May 4, 2020)
It was a great introduction to data models
- Chris Johnston (May 2, 2020)
A wonderful course, thank you! Really, really appreciated. Will definitely check out your data modelling book next :)
- Jorge Rosero Castillo (Apr 29, 2020)
GRACIAS POR SU AYUDA Y POR COMPARTIR CONOCIMIENTOS
- Khai Boon Chai (Apr 29, 2020)
A good understanding of data modeling is critical before we plunge into power pivot and DAX. Overall, a great intro and clear/concise explanation. Great work!
- Ziad Mutaher (Apr 27, 2020)
very good course