Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- gudla manikanta (Aug 15, 2023)
It was a great platform to learn data modelling concepts
- Qamaruddin Khichi (Aug 2, 2023)
It was an amazing course, learned a lot. Thanks!
- Rony Benny (May 7, 2023)
Very informative series. Some points were a bit difficult to grasp considering I am a beginner, so rewatched them multiple times, but overall, loved it.
- Rohit Kaushik (Jan 6, 2023)
Basic Understanding about the Modeling in a respective way
- Parag Ingale (Nov 22, 2022)
Session was Good, informative.
- Srinu Ravi (Nov 8, 2022)
Nice Explanation and enjoyed it.
- Prudvi Raju (Nov 1, 2022)
- Michael Lilja (Oct 10, 2022)
Thanks for the course. I thought it was very helpful and give me practical insights of how to address data modelling scenarios/problems.
- Mangesh Palwade (Sep 26, 2022)
The Overall information on Data Modelling was Good.
- Kishan P (Sep 19, 2022)
It was good and explained very well with visual examples.
- Mohammad Nurul Haque (Sep 6, 2022)
This the basic of Power BI but very helpful for me to understand the mean's of what it is? Thanks
- Jeffrey Visser (Jun 29, 2022)
Very basic course, but that is what I expect for a free course. You need to listen closely, if you are not used to the Italian pronunciation of English words.
- – Hi Jeffrey,
Thank you for your review. We have made subtitles available for this reason, in all our video courses. The English version of the subtitles was written by hand, for maximum accuracy. All other languages are automatic translations of the English subtitles. Make sure to make full use of subtitles!
Reply by Claire Costa (Jun 30, 2022)
- – Hi Jeffrey, Thank you for your review. We have made subtitles available for this reason, in all our video courses. The English version of the subtitles was written by hand, for maximum accuracy. All other languages are automatic translations of the English subtitles. Make sure to make full use of subtitles! Thanks, Claire
- RajKass (Jun 24, 2022)
Great insight for someone new to DW Star Schema design
- Mayank Bahuguna (Apr 6, 2022)
- Tyla Ono (Mar 19, 2022)
Helpful for the most part. A little bit hard to follow the more complex data models without having a good understanding of the underlying data. This made it harder to understand the context.