Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Frederick Atenaga (Jan 11, 2022)
Fantastic course - I literally enjoyed it all the way!.
- Jonathan Stagg (Dec 21, 2021)
Excellent introductory session to a number of key concepts.
- Selamawit Mihiretu (Nov 11, 2021)
- Daniel Farrell (Nov 10, 2021)
Very informative. Was a good introduction to Data Modeling for PowerBI
- Dhananjay Ramdas Patil (Aug 21, 2021)
Structure Is Good For Beginner
- Wassim A. El-hajj (Aug 14, 2021)
Clear and straight forward introduction to DM.
- Efrain Hernandez (Aug 3, 2021)
It was very easy to understand beside the examples are very concrets... thanks.
- Aditya Upadhyay (Jul 29, 2021)
I found this course good, but it is too basic as expected from an intro course. Overall Marco simplified complex modelling scenarios in digestible piece. Kudos for that. Looking forward to learn more courses from SQLBI team.
- Masao Inoue (Jul 28, 2021)
Good introductory course.
- GAJWEL LAXMAN (Jul 24, 2021)
- Shivam Pant (Jun 28, 2021)
Very Informative course.Learned alot of new things.Thankyou!!
- Meena Raja (Jun 8, 2021)
As a begginer it was really helpfull for me to understand data modelling concepts.
- Lee Rowley (May 18, 2021)
Very informative, but demonstrates that I will need to learn DAX in order to get more out of Power BI
- Bhavin Patel (Feb 28, 2021)
Most of the topics discussed within this course are interesting. There are some useful tips provided along the way like formatting/preparing your data at source using SQL, SSIS or Custom-M (PowerQuery) as far as possible. Towards the end, some common business scenarios are discussed along with their respective solutions. Overall, it's a good course to realise the importance of Data Modelling in a typical BI Workflow.
- Doreen Gremmel (Jan 7, 2021)
Course gave a great overview and insight into data modelling.