Mastering DAX Video Course
This is the video course version of the Mastering DAX workshop.
DAX is the native language of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and SSAS Tabular models in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and at Analysis Services developers that want to learn and master the DAX language.
The goal of the course is to teach all the features of DAX, providing the knowledge to write formulas for common and advanced business scenarios. The video course is made up of over 15 hours of lectures, plus another 15-20 hours of individual exercises. You can watch the videos at anytime and the system will keep track of your progress. Within the course you can download the material for all the exercises.
Students have access to a private discussion area where they can interact with the instructors asking questions related to the lectures and the exercises.
Presentation of Mastering DAX 2nd Edition
Presentation of Mastering DAX 2nd Edition FREE
- Presentation of Mastering DAX 2nd Edition
Exercises, labs, slides, and demos
How to download and complete exercises FREE
- Download demos
- Download exercises
- Slides of the video course
- How to download and complete exercises
Introduction to DAX
Introduction to DAX FREE
What is DAX? FREE
DAX data types FREE
Calculated columns FREE
- Aggregation functions
- Counting values
- Conditional functions
- Handling errors
- Using variables
- Mathematical functions
- Relational functions
- Introduction to DAX
Table functions FREE
- Introduction to table functions
- Filtering a table
- Ignoring filters
- Mixing filters
- How many values for a column
- Tables and relationships
- Tables with one row and one column
- Table variables
- Table functions
Evaluation contexts FREE
- Introduction to evaluation contexts
- Filter context
- Row context
- Context errors
- Filtering a table
- Using RELATED in a row context
- Ranking by price
- Evaluation contexts and relationships
- Filters and relationships
- Evaluation contexts
The CALCULATE function
The CALCULATE function FREE
- CALCULATE examples
- CALCULATE recap
- What is a filter context?
- CALCULATE operators
- Use one column only in compact syntax
- Variables and evaluation contexts
- The CALCULATE function
Advanced evaluation contexts
Advanced evaluation contexts FREE
- CALCULATE modifiers
- Context transition
- Context transition /2
- Circular dependency
- CALCULATE execution order
- Advanced evaluation contexts
- Working with iterators
- MINX and MAXX
- Useful iterators
Building a date table
Building a date table FREE
- Introduction to date table
- Auto Date/Time
- Mark as date table
- Using multiple dates
- Building a date table
Time intelligence in DAX
Time intelligence in DAX FREE
What is time intelligence? FREE
Time intelligence functions FREE
- Running total
- Mixing time intelligence functions
- Semi-additive measures
- Calculations over weeks
- Time intelligence in DAX
Hierarchies in DAX
Hierarchies in DAX FREE
- What are hierarchies?
- FILTER and CROSSFILTER
- Percentages over hierarchies
- Parent-child hierarchies
- Hierarchies in DAX
Querying with DAX
Querying with DAX FREE
- Working with tables and queries
- TOPN and GENERATE
- ROW and DATATABLE
- Tables and relationships
- UNION, INTERSECT, and EXCEPT
- Query measures
- Querying with DAX
Data lineage and TREATAS
Data lineage and TREATAS FREE
- What is data lineage?
- Data lineage and TREATAS
Expanded tables FREE
- Filters are tables
- Difference between base tables and expanded tables
- Filtering a column
- Expanded tables
Arbitrarily shaped filters
Arbitrarily shaped filters FREE
- What are arbitrarily shaped filters?
- Example of an arbitrarily shaped filter
- Arbitrarily shaped filters
ALLSELECTED and shadow filter contexts
ALLSELECTED and shadow filter contexts FREE
- Shadow filter contexts
- ALLSELECTED and shadow filter contexts
- Static segmentation
- Circular dependency in calculated tables
- Dynamic segmentation
Many-to-many relationships FREE
- How to handle many-to-many relationships
- Bidirectional filtering
- Expanded table filtering
- Comparison of the different techniques
- Many-to-many relationships
Ambiguity and bidirectional filters
Ambiguity and bidirectional filters FREE
Understanding ambiguity FREE
- Ambiguity and bidirectional filters
Relationships at different granularities
Relationships at different granularities FREE
- Working at different granularity
- Using TREATAS
- Calculated tables to slice dimensions
- Leveraging weak relationships
- Scenario recap
- Checking granularity in the report
- Hiding or reallocating
- Relationships at different granularities
Calculation groups FREE
Introducing calculation groups FREE
- Basic measures
- Calculation items are patterns
- Creating calculation groups
- Changing the format string
- Excluding specific measures
- Using calculation items in DAX
- Calculation item application
- Calculation items on complex expressions
- Multiple calculation groups in a report
- Understanding precedence in calculation groups
- Reusing calculation items
- Recursion and best practices
- Calculation groups
- Amaru Quinones (Jul 12, 2020)
- Armando Barajas (Jul 9, 2020)
- Ciro Gómez Parssian (Jun 21, 2020)
Best DAX course, period. The Maestros way of teaching DAX is elegant, sharp, with a deep understanding of use cases and engine logic, and truly business-oriented. In other words: pure Business Intelligence.
- ELIAS BARBOSA DA SILVA JUNIOR (Jun 14, 2020)
Very complete course. Covers the many hidden traps in the DAX language.
- Barnabas Toth (Jun 5, 2020)
Great course! Nice explanations!
- Abdelrahman Abdou (May 28, 2020)
Great course for Learning DAX! A true Gem!
- David Williams (May 26, 2020)
The most valuable training course I have experienced - including my graduate courses in college! The exercises tasked my understanding of the material, not my ability to regurgitate the examples. Highly recommended for any professional who wants to provide value to their clients.
- Marvin Villareal (May 17, 2020)
Great course! DAX is so powerful. Marco and Alberto just simply DAX experts! Thanks!
- Dramane Bio SALIFOU (May 17, 2020)
Great course ! This course deserves to read more and more as DAX coding reference and to be recommending to all the Power BI learner. Thank you so much for your teaching.
- John Nickell (May 16, 2020)
I think it's been a good course, and that Marco and Alberto do a great job explaining DAX. I'm still not fluent, but feel slightly better equipped to go forward.
- Cekou Coulibaly (May 8, 2020)
An absolutely amazing course. Well designed Well explained Well delivered Well everything. Can't wait to delve into what's coming next.
- Udit Kumar Chatterjee (May 7, 2020)
The courses are indeed the masterpiece and excellent but, please fix the site. Its very slow and works poorly if the internet speed is little low. Fix the site please, this is the only demerit I find and that's why rating this 4 star but, again the courses are excellent and so as the instructors.
- – Please, can you provide more details about your issues?
Most of the time that a user experiences a problem with the videos, it is because of a firewall or an antivirus that slows down the connection.
You can lower the resolution of the video to reduce bandwidth consumption if your internet connection is slow.
If you experienced other issues, please clarify so we can investigate.
Thanks for your feedback!
Reply by SQLBI (May 8, 2020)
- – Please, can you provide more details about your issues? Most of the time that a user experiences a problem with the videos, it is because of a firewall or an antivirus that slows down the connection. You can lower the resolution of the video to reduce bandwidth consumption if your internet connection is slow. If you experienced other issues, please clarify so we can investigate. Thanks for your feedback!
- Pedro Junqueira (Apr 13, 2020)
When it comes to DAX Marco and Alberto are the real maestros. They are the author of the "DAX Bible" (Definitive Guide to Dax) which is the base of this course. There are other good DAX instructors out there but I have not found anyone that know about DAX inside out as them. The Mastering DAX goes really deep in the fundamentals of DAX and both instructors are very clear on the theory and practical examples that you need to know to master the language. I am very satisfied with this course and it really improved my knowledge and power when it comes to solving business problems by creating BI reports. I highly recommend this course.
- James Gourley (Apr 10, 2020)
This course is unbelievably good. I'm so impressed with Marco & Alberto's ability to take extremely complex topics and explain them in an understandable way.
- Koen de Witte (Apr 8, 2020)
Fantastic. So happy I chose this course, it was well worth it! What I especially liked was the fact that 90% of the lectures was spent hands-on in PowerBI, writing DAX, looking at the result, seeing what works, what not and why not, improving the code, this way giving you the understanding you need... Also, none of the video of the lectures were edited. They're all single takes, which showed how much teaching experience and confidence Marco and Roberto have. it made everything a much more natural and valuable experience than a lot of other paid online material.
Would you prefer a classroom course?This video course is based on a classroom course we teach all around the world. If you prefer a classroom learning experience, take a look at the dates below for a list of our upcoming classroom courses!
|Amsterdam, NL||Sep 28-30, 2020 Amsterdam|
|Calgary, AB, CA||Oct 19-21, 2020 Calgary|
|Munich (München), DE||Oct 27-29, 2020 Munich|
|Charlotte, NC, US||Feb 9-11, 2021 Charlotte|
|Chicago, IL, US||Feb 15-17, 2021 Chicago|
|Melbourne, VIC, AU||Feb 22-24, 2021 Melbourne|
|Sydney, NSW, AU||Mar 1-3, 2021 Sydney|