Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Wveimar López Marin (Apr 3, 2019)
What an excellent video course. As usually, Marco and Alberto is sharing their knowledge to all the community all over the world interested in learning some tips and techniques for BI. Thank you very much.
- Carlos Goncalves (Apr 3, 2019)
Great introduction Course. Many thanks for your way to teach
- Dirk Surmont (Apr 3, 2019)
Very good structured course about the Data Modeling subject for Power BI!
- Wayne Walker (Apr 3, 2019)
- Dannelly Ramos (Apr 2, 2019)
Great course! Practical and useful. I recommend it. Thank you.
- Massimiliano Alpigno (Apr 2, 2019)
Very clear explanation. thank you.
- Jerome Louvel (Apr 2, 2019)
Great content, as always! Blew away some misconceptions I had about normalized schemas always being the way to go. Thanks!
- Frank Arendt-Theilen (Apr 2, 2019)
Thank you very match for this very helpful introductional course. In my seminars I advice the attendees to take a very close look at the data modelling and your very well explanations confirms me to do so. Thanks's again. Frank
- Steven Renders (Apr 2, 2019)
Super interesting course!!!
- Iretiola Fola-bolumole (Apr 2, 2019)
Amazing work and step by step guide to the foundation of data modeling. Explaining the model for dealing with multiple dates was easy to understand and crucial for all modelers to understand. Great work again
- Mary Fealty (Apr 1, 2019)
Brilliant! I loved getting reassurance of the importance of the data model and star schema in particular. Marco has a great talent of explaining things in a methodical way that cements learning. Thanks
- Bruno Zurita (Apr 1, 2019)
this is a nice course video, i learn so much.
- Abdelkader Gharbi (Apr 1, 2019)
very useful to get the basics of data modeling
- Jan Sutkowski (Mar 30, 2019)
Really good course. Marco is a great teacher, sharing his knowledge in a simple and understandable way for begginer in data modeling.
- Jose Almeida (Mar 30, 2019)
Fantastic Training videos. It's unbelievable how we keep doing the same mistakes after all this year when a Star Schema is the answer in most of the cases. The lectures are easy to follow and examples reflect real life problems. Well done.