Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Jose Almeida (Mar 30, 2019)
Fantastic Training videos. It's unbelievable how we keep doing the same mistakes after all this year when a Star Schema is the answer in most of the cases. The lectures are easy to follow and examples reflect real life problems. Well done.
- Aysha Hamisi (Mar 30, 2019)
Very clear and a great format & pace.
- Daniel Lázaro (Mar 29, 2019)
Great course. Grazie mille!
- Ruben Perez (Mar 29, 2019)
Very good quality and content!
- Micah Kline (Mar 28, 2019)
Very informative. I was struggling with a few concepts but this has allowed me to see how I needed to approach the problems I was having from a different angle. THANKS!!!
- jorge luna (Mar 28, 2019)
well done more advanced than expected
- Brendan Togher (Mar 28, 2019)
Always good to touch base with SQLBI, it makes you realise simplicity is the key to creating something good. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm.
- Stefan Uzunov (Mar 28, 2019)
Professional and well presented. Good definition and clarification of the example problems. Highly recommended for beginners as it provides a very good base for a data modeling analysis. Thank you
- Musa Momodu (Mar 27, 2019)
Straight to the point and an eye-opener. Thanks to the best DAX teachers in the universe. ----Musa Momodu (Lagos, Nigeria)
- Imran Naseem (Mar 27, 2019)
Fantastic Course as always