Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Bohdan Kryszczuk (Jul 21, 2019)
Thank you for the excellent lecture.
- Alphonce Wanjala (Jul 16, 2019)
I highly recommend this course as an gateway to more advanced DM. Thanks to Marco and Alberto for the great content.
- MICHEL PLATINI DE ALMEIDA CESAR (Jul 9, 2019)
The course is excellent! A very well explained, and technically perfect introduction!
- james robim ramos raymondi (Jul 7, 2019)
Es muy importante saber desnormalizar para poder generar los indicadores de alto impacto.
- JOVIANO SILVEIRA (Jul 5, 2019)
- Patricia Rodrigues (Jul 4, 2019)
You're a great communicator. your knowledge it great and totally aligned with the business needs.
- Ciro Gómez Parssian (Jul 2, 2019)
Excellent, I am probably purchasing the full data modeling course and the Power BI course.
- Jancarlos Ascencio Acuña (Jul 1, 2019)
Excelente videos esta informacion no se encuentra asi de facil en otras paginas
- Shawn Gallagher (Jun 28, 2019)
Coming from the Excel side, for me this intro was invaluable. Marco has put into words here much of what I had discovered intuitively in getting my dozens of PowerPivot (PP) models to work, over the years, and translated into BI assets to share- so special meaning to me; a real eye opener. This year I began a tech-immersion to really learn Power BI and serious DAX programming since I've had so much fun unleashing my creativity thorugh PP. I am putting this training to good use immediately normalizing the publicly available Medicare data I have begun to work with. I can see how it will help with simplify some complex ranking that I have been struggling with. Also, I will definitely seek more patterns to avoid reinvention. This was great in helping me on my journey - keep it up guys!
- Andy Stepas (Jun 25, 2019)
- Janderson Macedo Araujo (Jun 24, 2019)
It's just incredible. It's an incredible course. It makes us want to go further..
- Carlos (Jun 24, 2019)
I knew more than thought. Thank you for the clear a quick explanations.
- carry Zhou (Jun 23, 2019)
good,especially for star schemas
- hemchand chowdary (Jun 12, 2019)
this course dives through the data modeling with great granularity.
- Dave Mason (Jun 12, 2019)
Very interesting and useful introduction to data modelling. Suggests good ways to think about transforming your data to allow straight-forward analysis, whether in Power BI or other analysis tools.