Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Carlos Castro (Apr 18, 2019)
Excellent intro. Easy to understand and follow. Good PBI files resources with interesting measures and DAX queries to learn from
- Ricardo Alves (Apr 18, 2019)
Was my first online course, and exceed my expectations. Videos have a good pace, the speaker presents the topic with ease so is very easy to keep up. I enjoyed the segmentation and lenght of the videos, really easy to pause the course and be back at it after a while. It was the first but probably not the last. Congratulations.
- Manal Malek (Apr 18, 2019)
Very Informative Presentation. Thank you so much. You are the best.
- Susannah Bentley (Apr 16, 2019)
Excellent introduction to data modelling.
- Josué López (Apr 16, 2019)
Very Interesting and helpful
- harm bons (Apr 15, 2019)
Nice introduction in relation to data modeling!
- Nahid Sarowar (Apr 15, 2019)
Its very helpful for me, and this the basic of Data modeling for Power BI. Thanks, Marco & Alberto
- Donald Parish (Apr 12, 2019)
Very nice introduction. I've read the book, and this complements it. I very much enjoy watching the instructor stand and point to screen like a real lecture instead of a talking head imposed on a video.
- Jeremy Schlosberg (Apr 11, 2019)
Very informative and the videos are easy to follow
- Javier Vazquez (Apr 11, 2019)
Thank you so much for this training, very clear and neat explanations!
- David Hastings (Apr 9, 2019)
- Smiljka Nikolic (Apr 7, 2019)
Very nicely explained. I truly enjoyed the course.
- dave ritchie (Apr 6, 2019)
- Christopher Hastings (Apr 4, 2019)
This is a very good introduction to Data Modeling. If you included examples of using Power Query, that would probably be helpful for beginners.
- Yan Yan (Apr 4, 2019)
very useful! thanks very much for the share!!!