Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI Video Course
Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI is an introductory video course about data modeling, which is a required skill to get the best out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users that do not have a background knowledge in data modeling for analytical systems and reporting.
The goal of the course is introduce the primary concepts of dimensional modeling, using practical examples and demos to illustrate how to obtain the desired result without having to write complex DAX expressions. Creating a proper data model simplifies the code to write and improves the performance. The course is made of 100 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your advances. Within the course you can download the slides and the Power BI files used in the demos.
Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
- Presentation of Introduction to Data Modeling for Power BI
Slides and demos
- How to download and use demo files
- Demos download
- Slides of the video course
Introduction to data modeling
- Introduction to data modeling
- Scattered information
- Business entities
Normalization and denormalization
- Normalization and denormalization
- Introducing normalization and denormalization
- Star schemas
- Introducing star schemas
- Placing tables in a diagram
- If you don't have a star schema
Why data modeling is useful
- Why data modeling is useful
- What is the role of a data model
Data modeling scenarios
- Data modeling scenarios
- Common scenarios
- Header / detail tables
- Back to a star schema
- Multiple fact tables
- Building a star schema
- Handling multiple dates
- Multiple relationships with date
- Events with different durations
- Precompute the values
- Parag Ingale (Nov 22, 2022)
Session was Good, informative.
- Srinu Ravi (Nov 8, 2022)
Nice Explanation and enjoyed it.
- Tuhin Ghosh (Nov 5, 2022)
Excellent Introductory Course for Data Modelling. This may be the first step for anyone aspiring to be a data analyst who wants to learn data modelling. The course covers an introduction to data modelling, the importance of data modelling, an introduction to star schema, etc.
- Prudvi Raju (Nov 1, 2022)
- Donald Parish (Oct 29, 2022)
Good introduction to those new to Power BI. I will recommend this course first, with reading the Analyzing Data book to follow up. I found the discussion questions interesting as well. Thanks for your time in answering those questions.
- Flavio Benucci (Oct 26, 2022)
Ottimo e molto utile!
- Sharon Murphy (Oct 19, 2022)
Greatly enjoyed the course! The content was helpful in understanding some of the current data models used in my team's dashboard reporting.
- Michael Lilja (Oct 10, 2022)
Thanks for the course. I thought it was very helpful and give me practical insights of how to address data modelling scenarios/problems.
- Douglas Russell Richards (Sep 29, 2022)
A particularly good introduction to Data Modeling, explanation was done at a level where a beginner can start to understand the basic concepts and logic.
- Faustino Alfredo Alexandre (Sep 27, 2022)
If I could describe this introductory course in data modelling I would simply say: Amazing.
- Barry Schoehuijs (Sep 27, 2022)
Good course! I also bought your books and I'm excited to use them!
- Mangesh Palwade (Sep 26, 2022)
The Overall information on Data Modelling was Good.
- Michael Thompson (Sep 24, 2022)
Had a lot of fun!!! Keep it up!!!
- Kishan P (Sep 19, 2022)
It was good and explained very well with visual examples.
- Jean-Georges Dorn (Sep 12, 2022)
Thanks Very interesting. Links to M training are missing
- – Hi Jean-Georges,
I'm afraid we only provide training on DAX and Data Modeling at SQLBI. We offer no training solutions on M.
Reply by Claire Costa (Sep 12, 2022)
- – Hi Jean-Georges, I'm afraid we only provide training on DAX and Data Modeling at SQLBI. We offer no training solutions on M. Thanks, Claire