Tabular Editor is an editor alternative to SSDT for authoring Tabular models for Analysis Services even without a workspace server.
The Tabular Editor 2 is an open-source project that can edit a BIM file without accessing any data from the model. This offline capability enables quick changes to the BIM file, especially when you manipulate and manage measures, calculated columns, display folders, perspectives, and translations.
Tabular Editor 3 is the commercial version of the tool that adds many productivity features, a great DAX editor, a better UI, and dedicated support. Tabular Editor is not produced by SQLBI. We strongly recommend this tool because it is the best development environment for semantic models and DAX expressions in Power BI and Analysis Services.
Tabular Editor supports the compatibility level 1200 or newer (JSON format), including the 1500 level required by calculation groups.
You can download the executable and the source code from the Tabular Editor project on GitHub.
Video about Tabular Editor
Daniel Otykier is the author of Tabular Editor and he recorded several video tutorials:
- Tabular Editor 2 #1 – Intro to Tabular Editor
- Tabular Editor 2 #2 – Using Scripts in Tabular Editor
- Tabular Editor 2 #3 – Best Practice Analyzer in Tabular Editor
- Tabular Editor 2 #4 – Using DevOps in Tabular Editor
- Tabular Editor 3
- Tabular Editor 3: DAX Debugger & Feature Updates
- Tabular Editor 3: DAX Debugger Walkthrough