DAX Tools Video Course
The DAX Tools video course teaches how to use three popular tools to write and optimize DAX: DAX Studio, VertiPaq Analyzer, and Analyze in Excel for Power BI Desktop. All these tools are free and open-source.
DAX Studio allows you to write DAX queries and test your DAX measures in an environment where you can check the results and measure performance. You can also use DAX Studio to export data in different formats. VertiPaq Analyzer requires DAX Studio to export statistics and metadata about a data model that you can investigate in more detail using the dedicated tool. You can investigate in compression and get documentation about all the DAX expressions used in a model using VertiPaq Analyzer.
Analyze in Excel for Power BI Desktop makes it very handy to test your Power BI model using an Excel PivotTable without having to publish the model to the Power BI service. During the development of new DAX formulas, this tool shortens the waiting time and increases your productivity.
The course is made of 129 minutes of lectures. You can watch the videos at any time and the system will keep track of your progress. Within the course, you can download the files used in the demos.
- DAX Studio
- Introduction to DAX Studio
- The metadata panel
- The ribbon
- Running a query
- Output of a query
- Query builder
- Format DAX
- Editing tools
- Load Performance Analyzer data
- Capturing queries executed on a server
- Query plan and server timings
- Run benchmark
- View, import, export metrics
- Export data
- SQL Profiler and Analyze in Excel
- VertiPaq Analyzer
- Introduction to VertiPaq Analyzer
- Load VPAX files
- The Tables page
- The Columns page
- The Partitions page
- The User Hierarchies page
- The Relationships page
- The Compression page
- The Columns Data Types page
- The Encoding page
- The DAX Expressions page
- A real data demo
- VertiPaq Analyzer vs. DAX Studio
Analyze in Excel for Power BI Desktop
- Analyze in Excel for Power BI Desktop
- Introduction to Analyze in Excel for Power BI Desktop
- Trace MDX queries
- Tanay Haritus (Jun 21, 2021)
- Sardys Avile-Martinez (Jun 15, 2021)
Great training! Finally I have gotten around to do it. thank you
- Lucas Leal (Jun 4, 2021)
This is absolutely the best introduction material to DAX-Studio, VertiPaq and Analyze in Excel. Thank you all!
- Stefaan Louette (May 30, 2021)
- Nestor Adrianzen (May 28, 2021)
Awesome intro. Great tools!
- Red Roma (May 27, 2021)
Very clear session and very interesting tools .
- Marisol Schwarz Rosado (May 20, 2021)
Excellent Course! Thank you so much for this extensive introduction into DAX Studio, Vertipaq analyzer and Analyze in Excel!
- Mark Kindig (May 18, 2021)
This is a great course! I knew DAX Studio was a useful tool, but I stumbled to use it. Now it will become my best friend! Same with VertiPaq analyzer. I know this was a lot of work to put together, but it really demonstrates how the tools can be used. Thank you!
- Israel Shavit (May 16, 2021)
- Charlie Taylor (May 12, 2021)
Good intro In addition, I'd find it helpful to have more content in the DAX Studio section on building and debugging measures
- – Thanks for the feedback - the free courses about DAX Tools are intended to describe the features of the products. Currently, we don't have specific content that explains how to leverage DAX Studio to write and debug DAX measures. We plan to expand the offer in the future.
In the meantime, you can find a few videos we contributed on YouTube:
Reply by SQLBI (May 14, 2021)
- – Thanks for the feedback - the free courses about DAX Tools are intended to describe the features of the products. Currently, we don't have specific content that explains how to leverage DAX Studio to write and debug DAX measures. We plan to expand the offer in the future. In the meantime, you can find a few videos we contributed on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU5EQBJDfOM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SV2VnYbgg4
- Pragyan Mahalik (May 10, 2021)
Thank you Alberto!!! This is a great tutorial. It was very interesting and helpful course in order to understand all the features of DAX studio,VertiPaq Analyzer and Analyze in Excel.
- Thomas Schmidt (May 6, 2021)
Again: amazing courses! Many thanks to Alberto and Marco!!!!
- Robert French (May 3, 2021)
Excellent whistle stop tour of the features of these tools. Thank you for this resource I've learned a great deal :-)
- wdf (May 3, 2021)
- Hazem Mohamed (Apr 18, 2021)