This three-day workshop is a practical introduction to the concepts of data modeling for Power BI, Analysis Services Tabular, and Power Pivot. The training is aimed at users of Power BI Desktop or Power Pivot for Excel, and at Analysis Services developers who want to learn how to build the optimal data model for their reporting needs.
The goal of the course is to teach through examples of increasing complexity how to solve business scenarios by adapting the data model, so that the required DAX code becomes easier, faster and more robust. All the demos and the exercises are based on Power BI examples. However, the very same concepts can be applied to Power Pivot and Analysis Services Tabular.
Prerequisite: To get the most out of the workshop, attendees should be familiar with the user interface of Power BI Desktop to import data, create relationships, edit queries, define measures and calculated columns. Previous knowledge of data modeling concepts is not required. DAX knowledge is welcome and may improve the workshop experience, although it is not strictly required.
The course includes hands-on labs: you will make practice using your own notebook.
- Introduction to data modeling
- Basic modeling techniques
- Dimensional modeling
- Snowflakes and complex models
- Using header / detail tables
- Order and order details
- Data models with multiple fact tables
- Sales and purchase
- Working with date and time
- Aggregations and comparisons
- Working days calculations
- Handling special time periods
- Week-based calendars
- Tracking historical attributes
- Slowly changing dimensions
- Rapidly changing dimensions
- Analyzing date, time and intervals
- Events with a duration
- Using many-to-many relationships
- Managing tables with different granularities
SPECIAL LAUNCH OFFER: Students registered to this edition of the course will also receive free access to the Data Modeling for Power BI video course as soon as it is be available!
Course outline (PDF)
09:00am » 05:00pm
10 Barrack Street - NSW 2000
Each participant will receive a copy of:
The course is not confirmed until you receive a communication after you sent the registration. If the course is not confirmed, you should not schedule non-refundable flights and hotels.