Data modeling is a required skill to get the most out of Power BI, Power Pivot for Excel, and Analysis Services. The training is aimed at users of Power BI Desktop or Power Pivot for Excel, and at Analysis Services developers who want to learn how to build the optimal data model for their reporting needs.
The course is very intense and is structured as a set of lectures and hands-on-labs with a high level of interaction with attendees. Questions are welcome and it is possible to customize examples using company-specific data models. This type of customization has to be discussed in advance, in order to prepare material, but it grants a higher level of engagement with attendees.
- Introduction to data modeling
- Basic modeling techniques
- Dimensional modeling
- Snowflakes and complex models
- Using header / detail tables
- Order and order details
- Data models with multiple fact tables
- Sales and purchase
- Working with date and time
- Aggregations and comparisons
- Working days calculations
- Handling special time periods
- Week-based calendars
- Tracking historical attributes
- Slowly changing dimensions
- Rapidly changing dimensions
- Analyzing date, time and intervals
- Events with a duration
- Using many-to-many relationships
- Managing tables with different granularities
The outline may be adjusted on customer request.